Dry mouth also known as xerostomia affects 10% of the population (more often in women 💁🏻than men) and if you suffer from it, the effects can be devastating!
Dry mouth is extremely uncomfortable and can lead to problems with speech, eating, cavities and altered taste!
Most often dry mouth is caused by a decrease in saliva production from your salivary glands, a common side effect of prescription medication💊 High blood pressure and depression medication being high up on that list! Visit your dentist to first figure out the cause of your dry mouth.
Here are some tips for treating dry mouth:
- Drink plenty of water 💦 with meals and between them too!
- Try to breathe as much as possible through your 👃🏼not your mouth
- Sleep with a humidifier on
- Chew sugar-free gum ✔
- Avoid mouth rinses with any alcohol and stick to rinses like Biotene.
- Avoid caffeine and tobacco
- Discuss switching the medication you take with your MD for an alternative drug.
- Try products like GC dry mouth gel